Monday, February 11, 2013

To Be or Not To Be


What to do?  I fused these designs several months ago and I'm determined to finish some of my UFOs.  I'm a follower of Kathy Doughty's blog Material Obsession and am amazed at the creativity she and her students use in composing setting strips.  I decided to try some fabric I normally wouldn't use but I don't think it's working.

Another quilter whose work I admire is Gabrielle Swain and she uses a lot of offset arrangements with a variation of half square triangles as setting strips.  Her book is Applique in Bloom and if you have a chance to see it you can see her various settings for her quilts.  I may try something like that.

 So--do I put them away in the box for a while (week? month? year? eternity?) or gift them to someone else to finish. I'm anxious to work on something that thrills/challenges me and this quilt is not doing it unfortunately.  I like the blocks by themselves but... Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely "to be"! I say keep them and finish it. I agree with you about Kathy Doughty's color and fabric philosophy... she does great stuff with fabric. I've been trying to use more fabrics that I don't particularly care for either and it's not easy! How about using a fabric that's just a bit lighter, but still a contrast. Maybe something with a wild design? Go for it... I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually thinking of this fabric from your shop:
    http://www.fromheretoquilternity.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi?cart_id=5905644.IP70.44.248.120IP.21172.s0&product=brandon_main&productid=bm26_grey&sales=0&lastmenu=

    For some reason stripes and plaids are calling out to me.

    ReplyDelete

Dena Crain Work

Dena Crain Work
Tesselated Design