Saturday, January 30, 2010

Some new, and not so new works

My daughter and her two children are here for a short visit.  Her comment to me, after I showed her my blog several weeks ago was, "Mom, I've been checking your blog but I don't see anything new".  To which I replied well, there will be shortly.  So, here are some photos of quilts recently bound or just about to have the binding applied.

 

The above photo is of a quilt that must have been in the works for at least 8 years.  I'ts from the book Fresh from the Garden and was primarily done with invisible applique method, either using freezer paper on the bottom (which then had to be removed) or Rinse-a-way, which I left underneath the shapes.  I love the quirkiness of the design, although I hated the small points on the block at the bottom right.

 

For the corner (shown before the binding was applied) I chose to use Gwen Marston's suggestion to replicate antique appliqued quilts in which the appliqued designs do not curve around the corners but stop abruptly at the end.  I really like the result and think it goes well with the folky flavor of the quilt.  
This next quilt was my first foray into doing an on-line project.  The challenge was to use 2 1/2" strips in an original design.  I found a book with a similar design which used 2" strips.  thus my corners did not align properly.  My solution was to applique a square over the joins.  I love the brightness of the designs.  Fabrics used were Kaffe Fassetts, Mably, Phillip Jacobs, some Amy Butlers and other brights.  They were purchased from Terri at
http://www.quilternity.com/

Some day I'll figure out how to insert a hyperlink.  Anyway, hope you enjoy.  Sally

1 comment:

  1. I commend you on your patience...I don't think I could last 8 years on a quilt project. It turned out to be a stunning quilt. I love the colors you chose to use!

    ReplyDelete

Dena Crain Work

Dena Crain Work
Tesselated Design